Butford Organics Cider Making Courses
Learn to make cider the Butford Way. Here at Butford Organics we believe cider making should be simple and straightforward. This makes our approach ideal for the enthusiastic individual who wants to learn how to make cider and perry without complications or those with ambitions to develop a cider making business. The awards we receive each year are proof of the success of our philosophy.
We held our first course in 2012 and have followed this up with very successful courses in each of the following years. Indeed all our 2017 and 2018 courses were sold out well in advance. Here are some comments:
- “Very relaxed course with someone knowledgeable”
- “Loved it. Really great teachers, methodical, helpful. No question too stupid, patient”
- “A delicious lunch and an endless supply of cake, tea and biscuits”
We are running 4 courses again in 2019. The dates are
October 5, October 12, October 26 and November 2
Our Courses combine theory and practice, culminating in a hands on cider making session the juice from which participants take away with them. Accordingly we hold the Courses in the autumn during the harvest season. They make great Xmas or Birthday gifts and we can provide vouchers for the lucky recipients.
Demand has been significant this year. As a result the first 3 Courses are already fully booked and there are only 3 places left on the last Course on November 2. Sorry about this. We would love to run more Courses in the autumn but we just can’t fit them in during this exceptionally busy time. We are considering whether to offer short courses which would be a digest of the all day ones and details will be put on our website if we go ahead.
Complete and submit the Book Now Form, and then
Go to the Shop Now page to make your payment.
Details of the content are:
- Time: 9.30am to 4.00pm
- Outline programme:
- Arrival, refreshments and introductions
- Review of cider through the ages
- Fruit types
- Cider production – collection of fruit, milling, pressing, fermentation
- Orchard walk
- Cider processing – maturing, blending, preserving, bottling
- Practical milling and pressing session
- Perry – particular considerations
- Legislative framework
- Cider and perry tasting
- Summing up
- Cost: £115
- What is included:
- Refreshments on arrival and during the day including lunch
- Comprehensive course manual
- Up to 25 litres of juice to take away (containers not included)
- A bottle of one of our ciders or perries